Jewellery

Jewellery

Tuesday 31 July 2012

Necklace with vessel focal

More about the necklace with Mary Harding's focal vessel bead

It was a wonderful afternoon: great to meet Mary; she helped us create wonderful copper folded leaves; Jenn and I had lunch out on a patio in a picturesque town. A great day.

Here is the necklace I made to meet Mary.

I wore the necklace (finished only the night before) the day of the class. Mary said come on in when we arrived at the door to the studio.She looked at the vessel bead and commented on it, and I just smiled and said, "It's one of yours." So then she knew who I was, and exclaimed, "Oh you must be Andrea!" How fun to meet the artist who made this interesting focal.

I had seen the clay vessel bead for sale, and I loved the colours of aqua and browns, but I didn't know if I could use such an interesting piece. Well, I did end up buying it online to challenge myself with a large wonderful focal with a peekhole where the wires go. Lovely shape, great colours, I had to have it. It took me a while to figure out what to put it with, but the metal folding class was the impetus I needed to get working with it.

I put it together with lampwork beads from a number of Etsy artists: Jeannie Galt of Jeannies beads; Amy of AHouston; Glass by Leese discs; lampwork bird by Kim of Mandrel2; Raida of Havana beads glass headpins; held up by silk cords from Marsha Neal Studios; and of course Mary's focal. I used Argentium sterling silver components to make it stay shiny and bright (Rio Grande - chain; and UnkamenSupplies - jumprings). I made the enamelled brown headpins, and the clasp.

So there we have it. A most wonderful afternoon with Mary in a class that I had always wanted to take - metal folding. Lots of hammering, laughter, and good company. And I did get that necklace done in time to wear it to show Mary. I did it!



Thanks Mary for that focal that inspired me. I love it.
Check out Mary's work on etsy here, and her website  here
Andrea

2 comments:

  1. Hi Andrea I am so touched by your post. Your photos are beautiful and do your necklace justice. It is such a wonderful creation. I am so proud to be a part of it and to have sparked your creativity. Many thanks for writing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for making that wonderful focal. I have plans for another of your beads next (in soft peach and brown).

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete